I'm Just Here For The Food

Friday, January 20, 2006

A Driver Named Doan

So after a morning running around trying to find out information on tours to Ha Long Bay and Sapa, I made , my way over to Ho Chi Minh's mausoleum...which was closed, but the museum was opening again at 2pm, so I figured why not walk around The Temple of Literature, and then grab a bite while I'm waiting. The Temple was really cool, and was a nice calm place in the heart of Hanoi. Back at Uncle Ho's I found out the museum was open, but the mausoleum was closed for the day. I figured I would just come back tomorrow, since if you're going to see a museum about Ho Chi Minh, you might as well pay a visit to the man himself, right?

So as I stood there looking in my Lonely Planet for something to do, a xe om driver approached and offered to drive me around. Now these drivers are everywhere, and normally I would have just brushed him off and head on my way. There was something about the guy though, plus he spoke perfect english, and had the worst breath, so I was intrigued. He offered to take me to a few spots including the Museum of Ethnology and the Hanoi Hilton, which I wanted to see anyway, so I figured why not. Plus he said he'd be my tour guide, so again, why the hell not. Now the museum was great, but it turns out the guys version of 'guide' was pointing to the english signs, and then making some random comment. Now this wasn't really a bad thing, because again..worst breath in the world. He then took me to this little back alley pond which had the remains of a B-52, shot down in the American war, sitting in it. It got a little weird when he got me to take a picture of the crash, with a school in the background. "So the new generation can lean" he said. O....K.... Then he took me to a Bonsai garden/old weapons park, so it was just getting weirder. Then it got truly strange.

"Have you ever eaten Snake?" Now I've eaten a bunch of weird shit in my day. Bear, Moose, Horse, Frog, Snails, Alligator...but snake, that might be too much. That being said, I did call this blog what I did, so could I really back out? So we drove out of Hanoi so I could eat snake, and my Driver could snake a free meal so to say. Now the thing I didn't quite realize was that they kill, gut and drain the thing in front of you...which was actually kind of cool. And then I did something I didn't think I'd ever do.


I ate the still beating heart of a fucking snake.


Mixed with its bile and alcohol of course. It ...wasn't so tasty, but not so bad either. They then proceeded to bring out 10 different courses, all containing my snake. Most of these dishes were pretty tasty to tell you the truth, some were awesome in fact. There was only one that really made me kind of gag, but that also could have just been from the shots of snake wine Doan kept pouring. To tell you the truth it tasted a lot like chicken. I came on this trip for experiences, and I have to say sitting in Hanoi eating snake while chatting for hours with this Vietnamese man definitely was an experience. Then he mentioned a friend of his that ran a brothel, "Nice and clean and safe!" Yeah...no.




Labels: ,

3 Comments:

  • This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    By Blogger Rachel, at 9:30 AM  

  • Whoops, that was me who screwed up that last comment. Your first comment on your blog and I mess it up...leave it to me! Aaaaanway...

    Sounds like bad breath man wanted to get you drunk and take advantage of you. (Don't we all?) Ew...snake! I'm a food coward. If I don't recognize it, I'm not eating it!

    By Blogger Rachel, at 9:33 AM  

  • Mom, liver is gross, snake is tasty. That's the difference. If it makes you feel better, they did serve one dish that was the liver of the snake and soem other crap, and I didn't eat that.

    Rach, it's hard not to recognize that's it's a snake. Andthe hear, which was pumping away, was pretty recognizable as a beating heart.

    By Blogger Peter, at 1:04 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home


www.flickr.com
Border Run piperdown1313's Border Run photoset
www.flickr.com
Koh Chang 2 -Tattoo Bugaloo piperdown1313's Koh Chang 2 -Tattoo Bugaloo photoset
www.flickr.com
Tonsai/Railey piperdown1313's Tonsai/Railey photoset
www.flickr.com
Ao Nang/Islands piperdown1313's Ao Nang/Islands photoset
www.flickr.com
Krabi/Tiger Cave Temple piperdown1313's Krabi/Tiger Cave Temple photoset
www.flickr.com
Bangkok piperdown1313's Bangkok photoset
www.flickr.com
Chiang Mei piperdown1313's Chiang Mei photoset
www.flickr.com
Gibbon Experience piperdown1313's Gibbon Experience photoset
www.flickr.com
Muang Ngoi Neua piperdown1313's Muang Ngoi Neua photoset
www.flickr.com
Lao Cooking Class piperdown1313's Lao Cooking Class photoset
www.flickr.com
Luang Prabang piperdown1313's Luang Prabang photoset
www.flickr.com
Vang Vieng piperdown1313's Vang Vieng photoset
www.flickr.com
Vientiane piperdown1313's Vientiane photoset
www.flickr.com
Siem Reap piperdown1313's Siem Reap photoset
www.flickr.com
Phnom Penh piperdown1313's Phnom Penh photoset
www.flickr.com
Saigon piperdown1313's Saigon photoset
www.flickr.com
Mekong Delta piperdown1313's Mekong Delta photoset
www.flickr.com
Nha Trang piperdown1313's Nha Trang photoset
www.flickr.com
Hoi An piperdown1313's Hoi An photoset
www.flickr.com
Hong Kong piperdown1313's Hong Kong photoset
www.flickr.com
Hanoi piperdown1313's Hanoi photoset
www.flickr.com
Ha Long Bay/ Cat Ba Island piperdown1313's Ha Long Bay/ Cat Ba Island photoset
www.flickr.com
Hue piperdown1313's Hue photoset